Friday, January 20, 2017

May I please have some mayo?

Loopy
London, ON
January 2017
There are times when a jiggly mess of mayonnaise on a paper plate (don't worry, I cleaned and recycled it afterward) just begs to have its picture taken. So please allow me to submit that last night, 7:06 p.m., was just such a time.

Perhaps when we shot with film and had to haul out the big camera bag, weird and inexplicable photos like this one would have never been taken. But we live in the age of digital, and the cost - in processing, time and overall energy - has drifted close to that magical zero mark. Now, a flash of an idea quickly becomes pixellated reality thanks to the camera-equipped smartphone that's almost never out of arm's reach. And an understanding wife who appreciates the fact that I have a creative addiction.

We were (obviously) eating dinner. I probably could have taken the time to fetch the "good" camera, but in addition to being disruptive to my ever-patient family, it would have also defeated the purpose of the thing. Simple, fast scenes with virtually no rationale behind them - that's what the world needs more of. I've got to do more of that. Because it tickles the soul and hopefully makes everyone else smile and think when otherwise they might not be smiling or thinking. Who's with me?

P.S. No, I won't post anything about the Trump inauguration. Everyone else is talking about it, and I doubt I'll add much to the discussion. Our souls need more moments with jiggly messes of mayo, and not bigly moments of brag-filled narcissism. 

1 comment:

Snaggle Tooth said...

I agree n have left politics off my for fun blog. Mayo loops are awesome. I don't eat that much of it tho!